Wow. It’s July.
I’m still chipping away at this year’s list. It’s had a different feel this time. I didn’t put as many tasks on the list this year and frankly – I miss having really specific goals to achieve. Maybe I’ll add a few, or swap a few…
In any case – I’m still crossing items off the list. Here is the update:
(You can read the last recap here)
#4 Try 12 new-to-me local restaurants. I’ve tried 6 new restaurants so I’m right on track. I’ve been to 4 since March
- Parsons Chicken and Fish. My bestie Leah and I headed to Logan Square for what I think was a belated birthday (mine) dinner. We’d tried to eat here once before when it first opened, but weren’t interested in the 2 hour wait. This time we got right in. I had the 2 piece fried amish chicken and we shared hush puppies and baked beans and a negroni slushie (not shared. I mean, come on). You sit family style so you’re a little smushed in with your neighbors. Hush puppies were the best part. The chicken was a little dry. Fish next time
- Flying Saucer. Met my friends Kristy and Sarah here for breakfast back in April. I’d read the yelp reviews that mentioned some kind of surly-hipster atmosphere – and all I can say is..yeah, kind of. it’s a tiny place and it was empty when Sarah and I got there, but they wouldn’t sit us until our “whole party” arrived. I can see how sometimes that could be an issue cuz it’s small and all. But….it was empty. and nobody came while we were waiting at the bar. They were seriously disinterested in a perpetual I’m-over-everything-kind of way. The food was good, though. I think I got the huevos volando and it was delish. Seriously, I need to write these up closer to when I ate there. Because maybe I just want the huevos volando now. I don’t remember what I ate.
- Hofbrauhaus. Moments before meeting my friends (Simona, Kristy and Peggy) at Hofbrauhaus I broke my foot. That is what I remember most about eating at Hofbrauhaus. Did I eat anything? who knows. They did have some fine German music and ladies dressed in those busty German dresses. I should prolly go back. Maybe I had some schnitzel? I did have a broken foot that’s for sure. Found that out on my trip to the ER an hour later.
- Haymarket Pub & Brewery. Okay, now we’ve reached a restaurant I remember eating at! My friends Brenda and Shannon and I grabbed a bite and a beer before attending The Moth event that night. I had the Grilled Salmon BLT (YUM) and an Oskar Blues Mama’s Little Yella Pils. This particular neighborhood is filled with amazing restaurants and I’m not sure Haymarket is even among it’s best, but it was dang good.
- okay – a promise for the next set of restaurants: I’ll take some notes, maybe some photos.
#5 … attend a The Moth-like storytelling event – wrote about it here. Now to work on a story to submit…
#9 – Make 41 beautiful things: I’m only up to 9! Which means I’m about 12 beautiful things behind! But here they are:
(the beauty of my medicine cabinet is questionable. eye of the beholder?)
#12. Read 41 books. I’ve read 17 books so far. Which means I’m about 4 books behind. I blame Orange is the New Black. And also American Ninja Warrior. And then there is the napping.
#14. Grow a big luscious garden. I’ve stuck with my back stairwell this year to grow this garden, but I’m loving it. I wrote a little about it here. I’ll update it later this summer
#15. Meditate Daily for 60 days. Wrote out about it here. I’m a little out of step right now. These last few weeks have been a doozy and the meditation would have been so helpful. Starting up the next streak now!
#17. Go see two out of the following three: mountain. ocean, desert. I’ve been to all 3 this year already! The mountains and desert on my trip to New Mexico. And the ocean on my trip to Maine. That is something to celebrate. Maybe I should add waterfall to the list to just keep it going….? Or like a frozen tundra? maybe a meadow would do. Suggestions?
What’s up next?
- Trip #3!