I’m changing up the recaps this year to every quarter rather than every month. The list is half the size this year and, you know, there was a polar vortex so it didn’t seem like as much to report back on…
But there has been some stuff. And here it is.
#3 – Travel places I’ve never been – COMPLETE (with room for more new places)
#4 – Try 12 new restaurants. I’ve crossed two off the list and clarified the goal. I could have basically finished this goal while on vacation with all the eating out. Decided that I want to try 12 new restaurants locally.
- Zapatista – My friend Kassidy and I like to meet up every few months for a night of Mexican food and margaritas. This place was a good midway point for the last time we went out. I hardly remember it b/c we went way back in January. I think it was good?
- Big Jones – met my sister and her fiancée here for brunch last week. Self-described as “Southern heirloom cooking” they offer big heaping plates of delicious deep south goodness. I ordered the Corn Griddle Cakes – a stack 3-high of corncakes topped with eggs over-medium and smothered with beans and some kinda red sauce. It was dang good and super filling.
#6 – Take a trip at least 4 separate times
Above mentioned trip to New Mexico marks ONE off this list. Three more trips to go. Two already planned…
#7 – Learn to make homemade versions of food I crave
Started with the crusty bread back in February. Still want to try my hand a Pad Thai…
#9 – Make 41 beautiful things – 5 things down!
Three I’ve mentioned…
And two new beautiful things:
I've recently become paint-by-numbers #1 fan. I have found it to be a completely meditative experience. I have found whole wintery Saturday afternoons have passed while I slowly painted every number 3 on the board.
The fifth beautiful things came about when my new friend Paula invited me to an event her friends were hosting where we were invited to create vision boards. I’ve never made a vision board, though I feel like these birthday lists fulfill much of the same purpose. The host of the evening, Jamie (you can click here to read her blog and learn of future events) started with a presentation on goals and dreams and her own experiences with each. And then we all gathered around a long table of magazines and scissors and glue and made our boards. I had a great time talking with Paula, as well as my old friend Charlene and her husband Craig. And I think my little vision board came together nicely.
#12 – Read 41 books (8 books read) – Find the Book list here
#17 – see two of out of three: mountains, ocean, desert
Well I got to see both mountains and desert in one fell swoop on my trip to New Mexico. Technically this one is complete! But I also get to see the ocean in June so it’s gonna be a three-fer.
#20 – help someone else reach a goal
My friend Kevin was seeking funding to support an interesting personal project (read more about his Caminante project here). And I helped by donating! That was an easy one. Keeping an eye out for more goals to help out with…
This recap is reminding me that the last 3 months have not just been all about the frigid-never-ending winter. It’s actually been a pretty fun start to the year! What will the next three months bring…?
- Finishing off my 60 days of meditating!
- Another trip!
- At least two more restaurants…and maybe more!
- A race?!
- and more books, y’all. always more books.